Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving:: 100 Things I Am Grateful for!

"One single grateful thought raised to heaven 
is the most perfect prayer." 

 - G.E. Lessing

1. My livestrong bracelet because it reminds me of those who have it worse than me, but still live strong.
2. Covers because when I am cold, or sad, hiding under the warm covers always helps me feel safe.
3. Speed limit signs because they keep us safe on roads where we may otherwise be tempted to go too fast and risk someone's life, including our own.
4. Laundry shoot because I am lazy and it allows me to drop my laundry to the laundry room from my room.
5. My blankey/handkerchief because when I have a stuffy nose, I can always have something nearby to blow my nose in.
6. Hands because without them, I don't know if I could do it- they pick up game pieces, they blow my nose, they feed me.
7. Love because it gives all girls (guys too) something to look forward to.
8. Sunflower balloons because they make me smile and keep my room happy.
9. Toilet paper because I would fail miserably without it, and it helps me when I have colds and need to blow my nose.
10. Laptops because sharing one good desktop computer in a home with 5 people is just asking for trouble.
11. Video cameras because I can capture so many amazing moments that pictures couldn't.
12. Lens cleaner because I just hate when my glasses are dirty.
13. Light bulbs because they illuminate so much light without burning out a candle, and they're just so much easier to use.
14. Humor because laughter makes those hard days bearable. And good humor is everything.
15. Good friends because they bring life back into me when I feel as if I might never feel the joy they feel.
16. Backpacks because they make it a lot easier to carry all my books, binders and folders.
17. Lunchboxes because they keep your food cold/hot until lunch time.
18. Glasses because I just hate being blind!
19. Clementines because they taste just sooooo delicious.
20. Silverware because eating without them would be quite difficult, and personally, I love eating, so the easier, the better.
30. Candy because everyone needs a little energy in their life, and candy tastes so yummy:)
31. Hangers because they are so convenient and make it possible to have unwrinkled clothes, without having to iron your clothes every time- (and on that thought....)
32. Irons because they always make your clothes straight and presentable.
33. DVDs because they allow you to watch your favorite movies over and over and over again.
34. My chef jacket because when I peeled a pomegranate and the juice spat up everywhere, the chef jacket protected my new white shirt.
35. Cut (and canned) green beans because they are SO much better than the fresh ones!
36. Nose hairs because they keep foreign objects/particles from going into your lungs through your nasal cavity.
37. Teeth because eating, talking, smiling- would all be just pitiful without teeth, and plus, I enjoy my teeth.
38. Turkey roaster because it saves my mom a lot of time and gets the turkey cooked in half the time an oven does.
39. Puppies because they are simply adorable.
40. Fuzzy socks because they are super comfy and they keep your toes very warm. Plus, people are always jealous of fuzzy socks.
41. Lotion because I hate dry hands and lotion keeps my hands niiiiice and moisturized.
42. Naps because even though I rarely am able to actually nap, naps are amazing.
43. Taylor Swift because she always sings exactly what's on my mind and helps me put words to my emotions.
44. The plastic white hangers at target because I am OCD and love all my hangers to look the same, and target makes that possible.
45. My Good Happens blog because it reminds me of all the reasons I have to be grateful.
46. Pretzel M&Ms because they taste delicious, are completely addicting, and never get old.
47. AC because it keeps me cool, and I'd rather be cold than too hot.
48. NCAA tournament because it gives me something to enjoy during the school year that makes me incredibly happy!
49. March Madness because the madness gives me something to look forward to and it's always there for me- completely dependable. Except for the outcome.
50. Sneezing because it gets all the nasties out of your nose.
51. Fall time in Northern VA because there are leaves everywhere and you can walk down a street and see literally a hundred different colors in one row of trees!
52. Babies because they remind you of how much you've grown, and how much you've learned.
53. Converse because they make me feel cool. yes, I just said that.
54. Plaid pattern because it is a fabric creation that has changed the world- okay, not literally, but I love plaid. Makes me happy.
55. Ability to hear because there are so many sounds and life experiences that can only be heard, and I can't imagine life without my hearing.
56. People who can give me rides because I can't drive anymore and rides are my favorite. How else am I supposed to get places?!
57. Freckles because they are fun and pretty and they make cool patterns ;)
58. Coats because without them I would freeze! But I can easily take them off if I get hot.
59. Shoelaces because otherwise I'd either have crappy shoes or no way to keep my shoes on.
60. Mashed potatoes because they taste delicious and they are my favorite food.
61. Ability to switch majors because otherwise I'd still be an engineering major... And I'd hate that.
62. Commercial Recreation major because I finally found a major I love- deals with people and events and life!
63. Memory because there are so many wonderful things that I would hate to forget. Remembering things is an incredible blessing!
64. Work because it gives me the opportunity to earn money by actually working for that money.
65. Tupperware because it allows me to snack on thanksgiving dinner for the next week.
66. Scarfs because they keep your neck warm and can help you outfit look colorful and stylish ;)
67. Whistling because I just love to whistle!
68. Ability to move because I don't know if I could live if I were paralyzed, I'm not that strong of a person.
69. Curtains because they protect your privacy and keep the cold out of the apartment.
70. Trashcans because it would be disgusting if trash just hung out on the street and all over the counters.
71. Doctors because without them I'd be dead. Simple as that.
72. MRI/CT scans because they find things that doctors cannot.
73. Medicine because they ease your pain, and they heal your sicknesses, and make you better.
74. Laughter because some people just have the funniest laughs and laughter is contagious!
75. Personalities because it would be really lame if everyone was the same person- cookie cutters of each other. I like variety.
76. Color because as pretty as black and white is, color has so much life!
77. Voice because your voice allows you to sing and talk and communicate with others in an incredible way.
78. Photographs because they capture moments so easily so you never have to forget a face or a memory.
79. Ability to cry because its nice to let out emotions and crying allows you to deal with what's going on.
80. Surprises because it's nice to have something unexpected pop into your day! and your life!
81. Blinking because if I'm gonna die, I can just blink 3 times and they'll pull the plug ;)
82. Potatoes masher because it makes homemade mashed potatoes possible in an easier and quicker way.
83. No tubes because Katie had tubes to help her after her surgery and it was terrible, I am grateful that in my surgery I didn't need tubes.
84. Chimneys because Santa Claus can now come down and leave presents in my stocking!
85. D.C. - the actual city - because it is so beautiful and has so much historical significance. Plus, it has so many smithsonians that have amazing art and artifacts to look at and explore.
86. Pickles because I tend to always crave pickles due to their deliciousness and unique taste.
87. Board games because they are good clean fun and because you get to know people so well through playing games.
88. Compression cuffs because when you are in the hospital, not only do they keep away the blood clots, but they manage my restless legs syndrome and just feel good on my legs
89. Finally making the basketball shot after like 100 tries because I was trying SO hard and failing miserably!
90. State of Virginia because it is where I am from and there are so many memories from my childhood and teenage years here.
91. Nail polish because it allows me to bring color to my hands and feet without having to get permanent coloring from tattoos or something.
92. Pilgrims and Native Americans because they made this tradition possible.
93. Talented people because they make my life sometimes easier, other times just better. They give me something to smile about. They help me where I lack.
94. Oven mitts because they help me so I don't burn my hands.
95. Temples because they are a place where I can feel the spirit and be close to God.
96. The atonement because the Savior suffered every pain including sadness and fear, so that I don't have to be alone, so that I can have someone with me through every struggle. I am grateful for the atonement because through the atonement, I can repent and return to my Father in Heaven.
97. Rocking chairs because I love just sitting and rocking and thinking. I especially love when I rock with a baby in my arms and rock them to sleep. It's a magical thing.
98. That I don't have to wear diapers because all these poor babies in the house are crying getting diaper changes because they obviously can't be potty trained yet. I am glad I can just use the restroom when I need to.
99. My health because so many people have worse health problems and struggles and in comparison, I've got it pretty dang easy. I look around me, and how can I not be grateful when people are sick, and dying, and I am so alive!
100. Brain Tumor because it is through this brain tumor that my eyes have been opened and that I have seen how the love of friends and family can bring hope into what seems like a dark situation. This tumor has helped me see so much good and my life, it has humbled me and put my life into perspective.



I read this story on Oprah.com, I seriously advise you read it:: 

Biggest surprise? "That this science existed. So many self-help ideas are like meringue—you take a big bite, and there's nothing there. What I discovered was the 'there.' One study from the University of California, Davis, actually quantified what happens when people are grateful. They really are more optimistic, more apt to help others, more joyful, and genuinely healthier. Related studies have found they're more resilient, less stressed, and better strategic thinkers. All because they focus on what's right in life."

Second biggest surprise? "Grateful people may recover faster from trauma. I interviewed a lot of men and women who have bounced back from calamity—a mountain lion attack, a horrific car crash. The common denominator is they all believe in the power of their mind to find relevance in their situation and make something better come of it."

How "thank you" changed her: "I now find magic in the mundane. It's kind of like when I got glasses as a kid: I could actually see the individual leaves on a tree. In the same way, thank you power has helped me recognize slivers of life that might have bypassed me before: my daughter's handstands, enjoying a view. I'm also more creative—better able to look beyond the obvious and come up with new story angles. Certainly the research shows that grateful people are more innovative thinkers."




It is days like this, that I am truly grateful. Friends and family gathered together to share food, and love, and to just be with each other. It is days like this that I am grateful for, that give me hope and perspective and allow me to be grateful for the things that I too often overlook. Things I too often forget about. I am grateful for so many things that I don't realize until I sit down and think- really hard.

So, thank you to my Heavenly Father for this beautiful earth and for the great blessings I have. Thank you for sending your Son, Jesus Christ, to the earth and allowing him to suffer so that I, along with friends, and family, can return to you. Thanks be to God for his majestic and beautiful eye in creating such a beautiful earth!

Being grateful, and choosing to be thankful has changed ME because it has allowed me to see past myself, and realize that it is my selfishness that has torn me away from the people I love. If I remember how small I really am, and how much God has blessed me with, I really can do so much good in the world by being selfless and serving those who have served me.

Anyways, that's all for now- more confessions to come.

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment