Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Who I Am Grateful For:: Mike Kettle

Mike + Me @ my 20th b-day party!
MIKE, 

September 24, 2010 was one of the best days of my life. Why? Because I met you. The quiet kid in the corner that I could've sworn was thinking I was a crazy person and just haaad to be judging me (you weren't...). September 25, 2010 was the first of MANY "Phase 10" card games we played... I think we've played it a hundred times... And it never got old- even when I claimed I was winning and we all know I lost pretty much every game. We hung out with Jake and Kailee nearly every day for a week... And by the time it was September 29, 2010, I felt like I'd known you for months. It was my birthday, and we played at Jake's apartment with Miranda, Emily, Kailee, and Jake. Classic Mike- sitting in the corner playing the guitar/bass and pretending to be anti-social. We both know you were having a complete blast :) Then September 30, 2010- the birthday extravaganza and you came over early and brought me corn dog bites that were delicious! All the roomies joined us for some delicious food. You went and got Jake and came back and played with us. We went to Jakes and hung out for a bit. By October 1, 2010, I already felt like you were my best friend... and we'd known each other only a week...

But I knew you.
Your favorite color, and your favorite band.
What you're best at,
and what you suck at.
That you played the sax.
That you love paintballing.

                                            I didn't know everything
                            but I knew I had lucked out.

                                                          I knew I had just met one of the
                                                    most remarkable people
                                                                               ever.

October 6, 2010 - a week and a half... And I felt like it had been a year. And you, Mike Kettle, won me over. It was that day that I decided you were one friend I couldn't afford to lose(We all know I have a nasty habit of pushing away those closest to me.) And I made you a promise I'd never do that to you. I promised you we'd be friends forever. And that's exactly what we'll be.

Well my friend.
It's been exactly
60 DAYS.

                                          The most remarkable and enjoyable.
                I found one of the most stellar guys.
          My best friend.
                             Mikey.

Can you believe it's only been 60 days since we met???

Jakey, Me, Mike, and Court

Sometimes I just look back at the past two months and laugh... We've been through SO much, and yet, through every UP and down, you've been there for me. We've talked through it. We've worked through it. And I have never been so grateful for a friend.

We had a Costco trips.
Adventures to the Mall.
Subzero- on multiple occasions.
Movie parties at Jake's.
Phase 10 battles.

We set up and played
Book of Mormon Who.
and Let's Go Fishing.
and acted like little kids.

Other times we had to grow up
and deal with reality.
But- we did it. Together.

So, Mike, Thank you for being there for me. Thank you for the advice and for all the pointers. Thank you for introducing me to Marley's and having me try those delectable sliders. Thank you for actually making me try spinach. It wasn't completely disgusting. Thanks for always finishing the food Em and I couldn't finish, or letting us eat what you couldn't. Thanks for being the guy who always wasted gas so Emily, Kailee and I didn't have to always drive.

Thanks for letting us into your home.
Introducing us to your parents.
They are truly amazing. 

Thank you for making Jesse, Brit, Court, Kailee, Em, and I those hamburgers. And for actually making me eat one. The were actually quite delicious. And next summer... we are having a reunion and you are making those again. (Gang! Agreed?? yes? I thought so!) Thank you for always putting up with the girl drama in the apartment. Thank you for waiting for Emily, Kailee, and I to finish getting ready while you starved yourself cause we wanted to look good. Ha ha.


Mike, you may not believe it- but you are an amazing friend. You came into my life when I really just needed a friend, and someone to talk to. And you listened and you were there for me, and all the girls. So thank you for all the gas used up, and for the food eaten, and for the time given. It will never ever be forgotten.

- J

1 comment:

  1. Definitely agreed on the hangout. :) And I like this post...very true all the way :)

    ReplyDelete