Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Today I Am Happy About...

The gift of Forgiveness

Today there is one thing that brings me more joy than words can explain, and that is the gift of forgiveness. Whether it is I, that needs to be forgiven, or if it is I that is doing the forgiving... The gift of forgiveness is a glorious gift!

Jesus Christ while on the cross said, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do." And he didn't just say these words, he meant them, and that was evident through his life and ministry. The Son of man had power to forgive, and he did so, willingly. He had such mercy and he forgave those who had trespassed against their brethren, and to those who were simply unclean. If people were repentant and obedient, and willing to humble themselves, they were cleansed from all iniquity.

Forgiveness is all about humility, and empathy. Not only humbling ourselves, but opening ourselves up to truly feeling empathy for those around us. Feeling godly sorrow for feeling angry or upset towards others. Truly having empathy is a gift I didn't think was possible until I asked God for help, and he showed me it was something I could work towards.

Time and time again throughout The Bible, it says something along the lines of "Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors" and that if we expect to be forgiven, we must forgive others.  The other day it hit me... Duh! Forgive and be forgiven. It doesn't mean that you have to have sinned some great sin, but no matter the size of your transgression, whether it be as small as a white lie, or as great as a sexual sin, you can be forgiven. After you go through the process of repentance, there is one tiny step we often overlook. It comes down to the fact that if we want to be forgiven, and we are obedient and keeping all God's commandments, and if we are willing, we must also be willing to forgive those who have wronged us. If we can do that, we can be forgiven.

It is all about faith. It is all about mercy. That is what the gift of forgiveness is about. Willingness to submit to the Lord in humility, and in His mercy, he will forgive. He has the ability to blotteth out transgressions and if we repent, He will forgive.

What a glorious, wonderful, priceless gift!

It was a struggle for me to forgive those who had hurt me, and I didn't want to. I felt I was somehow better than they because of the things they had said or done. But after earnestly asking for God's help, I realized that it was such a burden I had been carrying around. And I have forgiven everyone. For every unkind word, or broken heart, or lie. Every bad thought I once had, I no longer have. I feel as if a HUGE weight has been lifted off of my chest. I am walking around, and I am happy. I am content. I feel at peace. And, to all those who feel you may have hurt me... You're forgiven.

So, forgiveness I am so grateful for you.
You're the anchor in my aching soul.
You've given me a second chance at life.

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment