Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Joy We Find Through Christ

Last night I came to the realization that the only reason I was excited for Christmas was because Santa was coming and I was excited to see what he brought. Then it hit me that I wasn't even focused on Christ that evening. It hit me that I had the holiday all wrong. Christmas is not about the gifts, or Santa Claus, or the stockings hung with care. It's not about the stories, or movies, or the snow. The holiday is about the celebration of the birth of the Savior Jesus Christ, about the Savior himself.

Through Christ, we can find joy.

Right now I am watching the movie "The Nativity Story". A clip of which was put to the song "Mary's Lullaby" and posted yesterday. I decided I needed to start and end the day with Christ. This morning, we read Luke 2. This evening, watched this movie.

I just finished reading a talk by Marion D. Hanks. He said, "Faith in God and Christ make for righteousness in the world and for happiness. One who knows has said: “God exists in the world. He exists wherever men let him in. Perhaps it is only humble men, men in search of him, men with a great need for him, who really let him in. And God comes to such men not only because of their great need for him, but also because of his great need for them as his allies in the divine task of creating a better world, a better human society, a real kingdom of God.” (P. A. Christensen.) ("Joy through Christ", Ensign, July 1972, 104)." I would advise you to read this talk if you have the time. It points out six observations that Marion D. Hanks had, and how to find joy through Christ, and turning to Him in our times of need.

Then in his talk "Joy and Mercy" by Dallin H. Oaks, he exclaimed, "But despite all we can do, we cannot have a fulness of joy in this world or through our own efforts. (See D&C 101:36.) Only in Christ can our joy be full. This is why the angel proclaimed: “I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. “For unto you is born this day … a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.” (Luke 2:10–11.)"

 
Only through Christ, can we have true joy.

I testify that Christ is truly the son of God, and that his birth was not only miraculous but a moment of overwhelming gladness. I know that Christ lives, and that through him, we can be saved. I know that God not only exists, but that he created us and provided a way for us to return to him again. I know that we can truly find joy if we turn to Christ.

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment