Sunday, December 12, 2010

Today I Am Happy About...

The Gospel of Jesus Christ

I woke up frustrated, and I was angry. I admit I felt in a way I had been gypped in the way my life had turned out. But I got dressed and ready, and I went to church like kids like me do. And after stepping inside the doors of the church, I immediately had a change of heart.

The topic was hope. There were two speakers from the congregation. One was my high school friend Kevin Goehring, who just returned from serving a mission in Germany, but struggles speaking English. I found myself lost in his words. He spoke of hope. Real hope. He explained how too often we get lost in the world's view of hope. How we hope for a good grade on our test, or we hope that we get a certain gift for Christmas. But, this is not real hope. Real hope is setting a goal and working hard toward that goal. We can hope for something, but we put forth all of our efforts into making that goal a possibility.

So, why does this bring me joy? Well, I find joy in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I find joy in the ability I have to pray to a loving God, and ask him for things I need. I find joy in the ability I have to pray and plead with Him for comfort, or strength. The strength I receive from God in times of great struggling and difficulty is more than just a pat on the back and a push back into the world. It is the sharing of a heavy burden. It is the feeling of peace that comes from my Savior Jesus Christ. My Savior and my Father in Heaven are two people that understand what I am going through. Every struggle, every pain, every sadness, every loss. Jesus Christ has felt every thing I feel. And, through Him, I find peace in knowing that I don't have to struggle alone.

So, today, I am grateful for the church in which I belong. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I am grateful that I have a loving Savior who is always there for me. I am grateful for the support that the church is for me, that it is a place where I know I can always feel joy.

So, thank you to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 
For being the rock in my life.

- J

1 comment:

  1. I like this post. :) Thanks for being such an inspiration, Jenna. I can't wait to see you in a week!

    ReplyDelete