Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Possibility


"Our aspirations are our possibilities." - Samuel Johnson

Who do I want to become? What are my goals? Who will I be? Sometimes these questions seem to broad and answering them just overwhelms me. I ponder whether or not these questions are even realistic to ask one's self. Instead of asking what one's long term goals are, sometimes you have to focus on the now, and just aspire for greater things.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." -Epicurus

Tonight I went to ward prayer expecting the usual meet and greet. I walked in and saw my good friend Mike Rose. He had a friend with him, who I casually met as I gave Mike a huge hug. After ward prayer was over I was standing with a few friends when Mike and his friend joined us. I felt awkward standing there not saying anything to his friend, so I started talking with him. Before I knew it, we had been talking for an hour and a half. (I don't think I have laughed or smiled that much in a long time.) It wasn't just that he was a nice guy. He talked to me about my life, my dreams, my passions, etc. And when I didn't have an answer, he talked with me until I found one. He made me see the person I can become if I just aspire to greatness. And he helped me see that greatness is within my reach. I don't know much about this guy, but I do know his words are an inspiration to me. I realized that its not the big picture in life that makes all the difference, its each stroke on the painting, each little detail that makes that big picture what it is. So thank you friend, thank you for helping me see a glimpse of what happiness is really like, and reminding me that good happens :)

"It doesn't matter how long we may have been stuck in a sense of our limitations.
If we go into a darkened room and turn on the light,
it doesn't matter if the room has been dark for a day, a week,
or ten thousand years - we turn on the light and it is illuminated.
Once we control our capacity for love and happiness,
the light has been turned on."
- Sharon Salzberg

Remember that if you choose to focus on the magnificence in each stroke instead of just the beauty in the painting, you might be able to find happiness in the details you never knew existed.

I hope you too can find some inspiration in the little things, and remember- good happens.

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment