Monday, March 8, 2010

Be The Change

Today I had a rare experience, one I hope I can be fortunate to see again. I was feeling overwhelmed and rushed and just wanted to get to class. In my hurry I was thinking of no one but myself. While walking quickly towards the elevator to get up to the 4th floor for class, in front of the buttons were two individuals. One was a young man and a young woman (in their twenties). The young woman was in a wheel chair. And as she reached to push the buttons to go down to the floor below, she reached a little too forward, and fell out of her chair. Having no strength of her own, she lay there helplessly. In a split second after her fall, this young man ran over to her, scooped her into his arms and sat her back in her chair. After which, he picked up all of the things that had fallen out of her chair, and her lap. I sat there kind of helpless, wishing there was something I could do. I didn't want to intrude, but I felt terrible. She just kept repeating, "I don't know why I fell out of my chair.." over and over again. I re pushed the elevator button and held the door open for her. As she thanked me, the doors closed.

I may never see her again, but I will always remember this experience. I didn't save a life, I didn't witness that young man save a life. But I saw a life that was touched, and I felt my life touched in the process.

We are not required to help others. It is not mandatory in our society. We are naturally selfish people, and we choose to do things for ourselves. So why did this young man help this young lady? Maybe there still is some decency in the world. Sometimes I look out at the corruption, pain, disgust, torture, etc. that exists all around us and I wonder how we went from simpler and better times to such horrible days. I wonder if there really is any good left in the world.

The Lord himself said, "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." That reminded of a hymn that may be familiar to you:

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

Can you imagine what life would be like if we all had this on our minds as we went throughout our daily lives? There are so many people that need our help, and so many of us that need that help. If we even take a moment to be willing, we can change a life.

As we look out on our lives, and the society that surrounds us, we may not see much good left in the world. But I testify that good happens. That good exists. You don't see extremely selfless acts of service on a daily basis, but when you do, doesn't that make you want to change the way you go throughout your day? Good happens, and will continue to happen if we choose to be that good. Mahatma Gandhi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world." So if you don't like what you see around you, you can be the one to start the cycle of change. Break the cycle of selfishness that surrounds us. It is possible, and it can start with you!

A man named Michael Angier said,
"In order for things to change, YOU have to change.
We can't change others; we can only change ourselves.
However, when WE change, it changes everything.
And in doing so, we truly can be the change we want to see in the world."


Remember that although at times it seems there is no hope for us in the world today, that if we really want to see a change, we must be the ones to start the cycle of changing. Remember that you can make a difference no matter how small or insignificant you may feel.

I hope you too can find some inspiration in the little things, and remember- good happens.

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment