Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Selflessness


William Bradford of the Seventy (lds church) once said, "If you would be truly happy, these acts must be acts of selflessness. Selflessness will turn sadness into a cheerful countenance. Selflessness produces kindness and dispels hypocrisy. Selflessness develops love, confidence, and trust. It is the vehicle of generosity. It is the resource God uses to answer the prayers of His children."

I have realized a lot of the time selflessness is a rare sight. Instead, we fill our minds with selfish thoughts and desires. Our society lacks the desire to be selfless. Sometimes it is simply easier to think of ourselves and have our actions act in result. But have you ever thought you might just be happier if you chose to be selfless instead?

"Selflessness is the giving of oneself in the serving of others
and the giving of oneself in being served by others.
Selflessness is a marvelous virtue.
It embraces the true spirit of companionship.
It is the very essence of friendship.
It is the portrayer of true love and oneness in humanity.

Fundamental to our individuality is agency.
The divinely given and heaven-protected gift of agency
allows us to determine our own balance of selflessness.
How and to what degree we serve others
and allow them to serve us is our choice."

It is our choice to the extent we serve, and allow others to serve. Think for one moment how your life has been blessed or bettered by one selfless act you performed. Think of a time when you helped another despite complications that could have resulted on your end. Now imagine how much happier you would be if your life were filled with those moments! Now imagine those times when you can see someone is desperately trying to serve or help you, and you just blow them off. Is it our right to deny others the happiness we too are seeking? All too often we explain there is barely enough time to help ourselves, let alone other people. And yet, if we are good, we do set apart some time to serve them. But when they try to help us, sometimes we fight it, and claim we have better things to do... That we could do it better on our own. But how true is that statement?

Couldn't we all use a hand helping us in our lives?


"Selfishness is closing the door of service to others

and disallowing others to serve us in love

while at the same time we attempt to serve ourselves

or wrongly exact service from people.

There is no happiness in selfishness.

It is a sin. Its product is misery and loneliness.

It alienates companions and develops enmity in human relationships."


I never really thought that being selfish was affecting my relationships with others until a good friend sat me down and talked with me about my choices and how maybe the reason I felt abandoned and lonely at times was because I was putting it on myself. Every time I made a selfish decision instead of choosing to help a good friend, I was putting those I cared most about second in my life. And putting others second to yourself, is never a good idea. I couldn't be happy because I was alone, and I was alone because I alienated myself by choosing to only take thought in myself, my desires, and what I thought I needed.

Remember, if you want to be happy, you can. Happiness is a choice. Remember that serving others, and allowing others to serve you can change your life, and theirs. Remember that selfishness can never result in true happiness. You don't want to look back and regret the way you've lived your life, because you were too self focused to make a change.

I hope you too can find some inspiration in the little things, and remember- good happens.

- J

No comments:

Post a Comment