Thursday, March 11, 2010

LOVE

Sometimes I feel the phrase "I love you" is used to often, and just flutters off the tounge with no real thought into what it means. Other times I feel "I love you" isn't said enough. Why is it that we struggle telling those we care for the most how strongly we feel, how much we love them? Why is it that we slip out "I love you" to people we barely know in either a joking tone, or simply out of convenience? Maybe if we understood what it really means, especially in regards to what it means for each of us individually, we'd use the phrase more carefully, specifically, and passionately.

Skye Thomas wrote an article regarding what "I love you" means. I'd encourage you to read it. What she does, is she splits up the three words into emphasis. When you emphasize "I" you are letting the person that you love that person. Usually, she explains, you use this 'version' to comfort someone when they feel alone, or unloved. By emphasizing that YOU love them, not that they might be loved, it makes a difference. When emphasizing "love" you are making the point that you don't just like, or care for, or even admire, but you do LOVE them. It has a lot of meaning when you emphasize love. Lastly, when emphasizing "you" we want the individual we are speaking with to know we don't just love anybody, or everybody, we love them. She made the point that we already say "I love you" and usually mean it. We already make emphasis. But she encourages us to really mean and emphasize each word. And say way. When you say you love someone, tell them why. You don't have to elaborate and make it some big deal. Just give a sentence or two, a minute, anything, and just say why.

Melody Brooke made two points I'd like to share.
1) "I love you" can mean different things to different people. You can say it to a friend, a loved one, a child, a family member, etc.
2) "I love you" is more than just 3 words. Loving someone is an action. It is the actions that teach us what the words mean.

Valentine's Day, and other holidays/birthdays shouldn't be the only days we show love, or express our love. We should be telling those we truly care about how much we care about them, even if love isn't the expression at first. We also shouldn't express that love for people before we are sure. The world has enough people out to hurt and break others hearts, why should we carelessly throw out these words like they mean nothing- When in reality those three words mean everything (if used in appropriate times).

My advice. Tell those you love that you do love them by actually saying, "I love you." Then tell them why. Second, if you aren't sure that you do love someone (as a friend, or as something more) don't say it until you are.

- J

1 comment:

  1. Jenna. I LOVE YOU. I really do. What? You want me to tell you why? Um... I don't know how it started... I automatically cared about you because I was your visiting teacher, but then the more I got to know you the more I just loved your personality. You laughed at everything and loved to talk and get to know people. It was easy to become friends with you. Then you texted me that one night that we took you to the hospital. I was so scared. I had no idea what was going on or what to really do about it and as I hugged you and held your hand I just felt an overwhelming love for you. And it has just grown more ever since then. I see so much good in you and that makes me love you. Sometimes you even let me see your testimony and I can see your eternal potential and how much Heavenly Father loves you. And that - that makes me love you even more. You are so great and so wonderful. I hope you know that if you ever need anything you can always call (or text :) ) me - because I love you. I really do.

    ReplyDelete