Monday, February 1, 2010

You Can Do Hard Things!

"I can do hard things!"

My mother sent me a paper with this written 3 times. I put one by my food, one by my bed, and one in our bathroom in the apartment. One of my 'sayings' is "Life is hard", or "Life... what are we going to do with it?" My mother reminds me that I was born to do hard things, and I can do hard things. At first I was hesitant and kind of laughed at the phrase. Sometimes I feel I get more than my fair share of heart ache, health problems, depression, struggles, and hard times in school. The whole "I can do hard things" is kinda like a slap in the face. Yeah, I can do hard things. The question is do I want to, or do I want to give up and be the lazy kid most people know me as. Well, I can live up to their expectations, and keep slipping up, or I can be the person that I know, and my Heavenly Father knows, I can be.


“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do.

But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart,

that's true strength.”



Thing is, we all have divine potential. But when we look at ourselves, all we see are our insecurities and our failures. Why is it so hard for us to realize that yes, life is hard, but we have all the power to overcome those hard things? It is possible, we CAN do hard things.


“Don't ever lose hope and give up,

everything turns out okay

and the good guy always wins.”



I'm not saying it will be easy, and I'm not saying we will feel it is worth it right now. But in the future, when we look back at the things we have accomplished- then it will all be worth it.


“Promise me you'll always remember:

You're braver than you believe,

stronger than you seem,

and smarter than you think."

- Christopher Robin to Pooh



Christopher Robin said this to Pooh, and now I'm saying it to you. And I mean it, we always makes our accomplishments into failures, our joys into sadness. And it doesn't take much to do so, it's in our nature, it's what we do. But remember what Christopher Robin said, and remember you are better than you think you are. Even if you can't see it, there is always two who can see it: Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. And I'm sure there are many more than that, if you just give others a chance.


Remember- you can do hard things. Never give up. You are a child of God, and that will mean more in the eternities than anything you will ever do, ever know. So remember that.

I hope you too can find some inspiration in the little things, and remember- good happens.

- J

1 comment:

  1. Our apartment frequently says, "life is hard and then you die" which is funny, and not wholly true. Glad your mom is an optimist and bringing out the best in you. :)

    ReplyDelete